Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Haiku for you

I have always had an issue with time management, as anyone who knows me well will agree with. Because of that, I've enjoyed the conciseness and challenge of finding just the right words for Haiku. Granted, I subscribe to a purely American (and totally high school English) 5/7/5 syllabic cadence, which many who truly study Haiku would probably find trite, but this is how I roll. (tee hee hee!)

The first was an exercise I undertook to see whether or not I could write a stanza poem that also could be read as individual Haiku. Here it is.

Stanza poem using Haiku
(or Forgetting Winter)


Frozen falling tears
from the angels eyes above
coats the ground with snow.

Late night calls from home
Calling me out to battle.
We waged war with snow.

Insulating snow
Quiets the sound of laughter,
Conceals our joy.

Warm cherry sweet lips
Dispel the doubt in my soul.
This is ours alone.

With frozen fingers
I touch my eternity-
The shape of your face.

You are my best love
Though words have never spoken
I must let you go.

Battles have ended.
We are too old for this fight.
Our new lives await.

No comments: